Applying for PIP

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit to help you live as independently as possible and deal with any extra costs that may come with having a health condition or disability. It replaced Disability Living Allowance for people aged 16 to retirement age who have a health condition or disability, whether in or out of work.

In Scotland, PIP is being replaced by Adult Disability Payment.

To qualify for PIP you must be aged 16 or older – children under 16 can qualify for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) instead.

Qualifying for PIP

Whether you get PIP (or Adult Disability Payment in Scotland) and if so at what level, is based on how your condition affects you, rather than the condition itself. This means that you will need to go through an application process to see what level of support you are entitled to.

Your PIP award won’t start until you have been affected by a health condition or disability for at least three months (known as the ‘qualifying period’) and this must be expected to last for at least another nine months (known as the ‘prospective test’). However, you can apply for PIP before the qualifying period has ended.

The qualifying period starts from when your need for the benefit begins, not from when you first make your claim. In some cases this means you could class it as starting from when your symptoms began, rather than when you were diagnosed.

You can get it on top of Universal Credit or other benefits. Your income, savings, and whether you’re working or not don’t affect your eligibility.

What is PIP made up of?

There are two parts to PIP or Adult Disability Payment, with a standard and an enhanced rate for both components – weekly rates (as of April 2022) are:

  • A daily living component: enhanced rate £92.40, standard rate £61.85
  • A mobility component: enhanced rate £64.50, standard rate £24.45

You may get one or both of these components, depending on your situation. For the daily living component you must show a need for support or help with one or more specified daily living activities such as cooking, bathing and getting dressed and undressed. With the mobility component you must show a need for support or help with your mobility.

How do I apply for PIP?

To apply for PIP in England and Wales you can call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Phone: 0800 917 2222
Phone: 0800 917 7777 (for people with speech and hearing difficulties)
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm (except public holidays)

The process is different for Northern Ireland.
Contact the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Centre:

Phone: 0800 012 1573
Textphone: 0800 587 0937
Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 4.00pm (excluding public holidays)

How do I apply for Adult Disability Payment?

You can apply for Adult Disability Payment by contacting Social Security Scotland on 0800 182 2222 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday) or visiting the website.

Help is at hand

If you like, you can have someone with you to help you make this call. This person can speak to the DWP on your behalf, as long as you give permission for this during the call.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have more questions?

Contact Young Lives vs Cancer’s welfare advice service on 0800 915 4439 or

Alternatively, you may be able to speak to a welfare adviser at your hospital, or contact your local Citizens Advice for more detailed information.

Visit the Government PIP website for a clear and simple explanation of PIP. For information on Adult Disability Payment, visit Citizens Advice Scotland’s website.