Winter Emergency Grant
We know that this winter, families and young people facing cancer are having to deal with increasing costs. With rising energy bills, petrol prices and food costs, families have told us they’re struggling to afford the things they need.
This is why we’re offering extra support to young people and families who need it most with the Winter Emergency Grant, a one-off payment of up to £350 to help cover extra costs.
Who is eligible for the grant?
The Winter Emergency Grant is for young people (aged 0-24) and families who are being supported by Young Lives vs Cancer and are in need of financial help this winter to cover costs related to cancer and treatment. You may be eligible for the grant if:
- you or your child is having cancer treatment or finished their treatment within the last year
- your family is being supported by Young Lives vs Cancer following the loss of a child (up to 18 months post-bereavement).
A member of our Social Care team will assess your needs to and let you know whether you are eligible to apply. This could be your Young Lives vs Cancer Social Worker if you are already in contact with one.
What can the grant be used for?
The Winter Emergency Grant can be used for:
- Heating costs
- Energy bills
- Home essentials (things to keep your house warm like heaters or winter curtains)
- Car costs (getting your car winter ready or buying fuel)
- Clothes (winter clothes and bedding)
- Supporting mental health (this could be a gym pass, an online course or activity, accessing counselling or a day out)
- Food shopping
How do I apply?
To apply for the grant, talk to your Young Lives vs Cancer Social Worker or contact our Social Care team. A member of the team can complete an application on your behalf. If the application is approved, the payment will be completed by bank transfer.
Please note that we can only accept one application per young person or family.